ICDO is proud to host the Kamloops Equality Health Centre to meet the healthcare needs of the LGBTQ2S+ population in Kamloops and surrounding communities. The clinic provides primary medical care to unattached patients who identify with the LGBTQ2S+ community, with a particular emphasis in providing medical care, including hormone assessment and therapy, to transgender individuals.
Medical services are provided by physicians in collaboration with other healthcare professionals, with psychosocial supports, group and individual counselling sessions available on-site for those that require it. Telemedicine service delivery is available at request to patients who reside outside the Kamloops area.
What are the services provided?
- Primary medical care for all unattached LGBTQ2S+ individuals.
- Consultative gender affirming care for transgendered individuals including hormone readiness assessments and therapy, as well as surgical readiness assessments and referrals.
- Consultation, follow up assessment, therapy initiation and monitoring.
- Pre and post-operative education, counselling, and medical care.
- Support to primary care providers in managing specific clinical challenges with on-going progress note updates to the referring physician.
- Unlimited psychosocial support, group therapy, and individual counselling sessions if requested, based on a low-barrier nominal flat monthly fee.
- Peer to peer support in-house meetings and connection to support network within the community.
- Education and support for primary care providers to follow and monitor hormone therapy once initiated, particularly for out of town patients to minimize travel.
- Consultation with pediatricians, psychiatrists, psychologists, counsellors, and other healthcare professionals as required.
Who can access Kamloops Equality Health Centre?
- Residents of Kamloops or those for whom travel to Kamloops is the most convenient location to access culturally safe or gender affirming care.
- Children/Youth of any age to facilitate appropriate referrals to specialized children/youth mental health clinicians and pediatric endocrinologist as needed.
- Gender diverse and transgender adults seeking gender affirming support and medical care.
- Individuals who identify as belonging to the LGBTQ2S+ community seeking primary medical care.
Where is the clinic?
The clinic is based out of the Interior Chemical Dependency Office, located at
239 Lansdowne Street
Kamloops, BC V2C 1X8
Phone: 778-471-4218 Fax: 778-471-6490
A referral is required; for your convenience, a referral form is available here for download to take to your physician. We look forward to seeing you!
A future where gender self-determination and authentic expression are respected as basic rights and matters of common human dignity.
We promote integrated care that enhances emotional wellness and fosters a safe, respectful environment for all those that walk through our doors. We take an intersectional approach to our work and believe that fighting one form of oppression means fighting all forms of oppression. We strengthen our community’s health so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their medical diagnosis, gender identity or expression.
- Embrace diversity
- Improve access
- Provide leadership
- Promote inclusiveness
- Care without judgement
- Treat with dignity and respect